Properly optimized images for search engine could be a source of organic traffic for your blog. Search engine optimization tips for images are methods to increase your site’s visibility on the search engine via image searches. Just as we optimize our blog posts to rank for certain keywords, so do images also rank for certain keywords in image searches. One major area of optimization that many bloggers ignore is in optimizing their images.
Images have the ability to rank on the main search result pages; most search engines today like Google, Bing and Yahoo since implementing “Universal Search” can now rank well optimized images in its search results. This could be a massive source of traffic for your blog if well exploited and today I want to show you some SEO tips to help you optimize your blog post images properly.
Search Engine Optimization Tips for Images:
Search engine optimization tips for images involves all the basic on-site SEO tricks to make images used in your blog posts appear in search results for certain keywords on searching such keywords. So let’s see how to properly optimize images for search engines.
Must read: The Basic Onsite SEO Tips You Should Know
1. Use high quality images: High quality images have long been proven to attract clicks on search results, its natural for people to click on high quality images than some badly cropped or blurry images. So ensure to always use high quality images in your blog posts and maybe add some Photoshop effects to it. Properly edit images used in your blog posts as this could become a source of organic traffic to your blog.
2. Use Relevant File Names & images: Since people find images on search engine for certain keywords, ensure to use relevant file names and images that reflects the keyword of the blog post you are using it for so that people searching for such keywords can easily identify your image and follow it back to your site. Also ensure to use relevant images for your chosen keywords. You can’t be talking of computers while using the image of a horse in your blog post; this is not proper because horse is in no way relevant to computers. Rename the image file to contain the keywords you are ranking for and this way it will also be easy for search engines to find such images when someone search for such keywords. If your blog post is talking about internet surfing, use ‘internet-surfing’ as your file name rather than ‘surfing’ as you might have people searching for wave surfing clicking on such image and on getting to your blog quickly close the page and thus increasing your bounce rate, which in turn affects your search engine ranking and of course your earnings.
3. Take advantage of the Alt Tags: Have you ever imagined how search engines identify images? Search engine spiders make use of the Alt tags to find images. Search engine optimization for images involves using Alt tags that reflects the keywords of the blog post; this helps search engines understand what the image’s content is all about. Google and other search engines strongly advise the use of Alt tags for images. Keep your Alt tags short and succinct and ensure it reflects what you want the viewers to see in the image.
4. Descriptive Text: Apart from using Alt tags for your images, proper SEO for your images involves the proper descriptive text for your images. Always use descriptive text with relevant words for what you want people to see in the image. Search engine spiders cannot read the texts on an image so they make use of the descriptive texts to understand what an image is all about. So adding descriptive text for your images can help search engine spiders determine what the content of the image is.
5. Use Proper Anchor Text: Best search engine optimization tips involves the use of proper anchor texts for your images, instead of linking to an image with the word ‘photo’ or ‘image’ use the proper keyword reflecting the image. Anchor text can play a major role in how your image is ranked for a keyword.
Must Read: SEO Tips for Bing
Conclusion: Following the above listed search engine optimization tips for images you can boast traffic to your blog easily. I have a firsthand experience in this and I can authoritatively tell you it works. Organic traffic from image searches can help your blog succeed, so if you haven’t been properly optimizing your blog post images, start practicing it today and see the results for yourself.