The Social media has become an important part of our everyday lives; we socialize and do business on various social media platforms. We have our private data on such sites such as sensitive information about us, photos, messages and even financial details like credit cards etc.
There is an increased need more than ever to ensure a stronger security to our social media accounts. Social media is a mine for private data as hackers have targeted these sites in the past. However, Social media sites in an attempt to prevent such security breaches have made changes to ensure even a better security for your social media accounts.
2-Factor Authentication is a new security measure put in place that requires you to enter randomly generated codes sent to you by the social media site you want to login each time you want to gain access to your online accounts.
Social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn etc have all added the 2-Factor Authentication but will require the users to enable them from the settings. Securing your social media accounts with 2-Factor Authentication will ensure your safety online as only the mobile phone number tied to the account can receive the random code that can only be used to validate the login.
How to enable 2-Factor Authentication on Facebook
1. Login to your Facebook account
2. Select Account Setting from the Gear icon on the top right corner of the Facebook account page
3. Select Security from the menu and then Login Approvals,
4. Follow the Wizard to configure the 2-Factor Authentication via SMS or Google Authenticator.
5. A confirmation email will be sent to you once you complete the process.
How to enable 2-Factor Authentication on LinkedIn
1. Login to your LinkedIn account
2. Select Privacy &Settings from the Account & Settings on the top right corner of the LinkedIn account page
3. Select the Account Tab from the options and then click on the Manage Security Settings link,
4. Click Turn On Two-step verification for sign-in.
5. Select your country and enter the mobile phone number that you want to use as the verification token for the account.
6. Enter the code that you receive via SMS. You’ll receive confirmation that the process is complete via email.
How to enable 2-Factor Authentication on Twitter
1. Login to your Twitter account
2. Select Settings via the Gear icon on the top right of your Twitter account page.
3. Select the Mobile tab from the options and enter the mobile number you want to use for verification
4. Select Security and Privacy tab and scroll down to account security. Select the checkbox marked “Send Login Verification requests to my phone”.
5. Follow the confirmation process.
How to enable 2-Factor Authentication on Google+
1. Login to your Google+ account
2. Select Account Settings by clicking on your name or picture in the upper right corner of the screen and then clicking Account.
3. At the top, click Security.
4. In the Password box, click Setup next to “2-Step verification.” This will bring you to the 2-Step Verification settings page.
5. You will then see a step-by-step guide which will help you through the setup process.
6. Once you’re done, you’ll be taken to the 2-Step Verification settings page again. Be sure to review your settings and add backup phone numbers.
7. You’re done! Next time you sign in, you’ll receive an SMS with a verification code.
Now i hope you can be able to enable 2-factor authentication for your social media accounts and keep your private data safe and keep intruders at bay.