I bet you have heard so many things about blogging; you are excited to start blogging and make money. Blogging provides a lot of opportunities and most of all can earn you good income and fame. You must have heard how easy it is to write articles, publish the on your blog and the money will start to roll in all most immediately. In this article I intend to debunk some things you may have heard about blogging and tell you the truth no one will tell you about blogging.
I don’t intend to discourage you but to tell you the hard truth so you will be prepared for the challenges you are likely to run into when you start blogging. I want to get you well prepared before you can start blogging so you can easily scale through whatever challenges you may meet along the way when you begin your blogging quest.
With that said, let me lower your expectations a little and get you well prepared to begin blogging. I wished someone had told me all these from the beginning, it would’ve made a lot of things easier for me. I hope you appreciate this article and take my advises from it.
1. Blogging is not free: You may have heard that blogging is free, you don’t have to spend a dime to start making money from your blog. Well that is not true at all. Even when you may not spend money to design and host a professional blog on a private server like mine, you will surely invest other things like your precious time.
Yes, technically you can set up a free blog on a free blogging platform like blogspot.com, wordpress.com or tumblr.com etc, you can use free themes and other free resources to setup and run your blog without spending a dime. But you can’t build a professional blog with good security and support for free.
You cannot build a blog with a custom domain on a private server for free. Such blogs won’t only look professional with awesome features, it will also give you the flexibility to tweak and design your blog in any way you like. Having a total control of your blog comes at a cost. I have seen people build free blogs on blogspot.com and wordpress.com only to wake up one morning and it’s gone. If you violate the rules of such free blogging platforms, they won’t hesitate to delete your blog and all your hard work will be gone just like that.
There is always a big difference between a free theme and a premium version, same with plugins. So to get the best out of your blog you may have to spend money either to host your blog or design it. So if anyone is telling you that you can actually build a blog for free, they may not have told you all the truth.
If you want to build a professional blog, you will need the best web host to host your blog. I host my blog with Arvixe. Since I moved my blog to Arvixe it has been better and faster, so I recommend you use Arvixe web host to host your blog. Other great web hosts to consider are Godaddy and Namecheap.
2. Not a Get-Rich-Quick Scheme: I know you can’t wait to start making money from your blog, I agree with you that one can really make money from your blogging efforts but then I want to debunk the idea that blogging will make you rich. Blogging is not a get-rich-quick scheme; it takes a lot to make money from blogging.
It takes dedication to blogging, the passion to succeed as a blogger, the enthusiasm to help people with your blog posts, the consistency of high quality contents, good online reputation and authority in your niche of choice, patience and most importantly traffic to make money from blogging.
So if you want to make money from blogging, you must be willing to wait for such time but at first you must forget about making money and concentrate in building high quality contents and authority, build good traffic to your blog and over time the money will come.
Sometimes it takes more than 3 months or more to start making money from blogging, if you can consistently produce good quality posts to your blog and drive quality traffic via search engine and social media to your blog then you can make money from your blog.
3. People won’t just visit your blog: people won’t just visit your blog if you don’t make them. No matter how good you write you need a good promotional strategy to generate quality traffic to your blog. Without traffic your blogging efforts will be wasted as no one will read your posts.
So ensure to build a good traffic channel that will consistently get people to visit your blog always. You must learn SEO and implement it correctly on your blog and posts so you can rank highly in search engines for your posts to be visible to more people.
You can also use the social media as a good platform to promote your blog and posts and thus drive good traffic to your blog. You must find ways to get people to come to your blog else you won’t earn a dime from your blog.
4. You can’t avoid the technical stuffs: I know how much a lot of people don’t like coding, well if you are a blogger you cannot avoid this. In one way or the other you will come across some issues that will require you to read some codes you may not understand, be careful in dealing with them so you don’t break your blog.
If you don’t know what to do in such situations, engage someone who can even if it will cost you some money so you don’t ruin your hard work. Just bear in mind you can’t avoid the technical stuffs as a blogger.
5. Blogging is time consuming and tasking: Yes blogging is like a business that requires you to give it your time if you want to succeed. Blogging is time consuming and tasking, it requires a lot of mental work, a lot of writing and researching, a lot of promotions and engagements.
To get the best out of your blog, you must devote a good amount of time to it. Don’t compromise on the quality of content or engagements on your blog just because you do not have the time for it. Try and make out time for your blog.
I know you may seem disappointed that I have lowered your expectations of blogging but I hope you will appreciate I told you the truth so you will be better prepared before you begin your blogging career. Blogging can be fun if you get it right; else you will be frustrated into abandoning it. I don’t wish for such for you, so I have decided to tell you the naked truth in this article.
Must read: How to start your own blog
If you have other things you may have heard about blogging you wish to know how true it is, you can ask me via the comment below. I will be happy to tell you what I have learnt in my over 2 years of blogging. I hope you can learn from my experience. I am expecting to hear from you. Remember to subscribe to my blog.