Do you wonder why your Adsense earning is still poor considering all your hard work? Will you love to improve your Adsense earnings? Do you know that creating custom channels can improve your Adsense earnings? Let’s find out in this article how creating custom channels can improve Adsense earnings.
There is no doubt Adsense is one of the major ways bloggers and other webmasters make money through their website/blogs. But you may have been doing something wrongly and it’s affecting your earning power. You may not have created enough competition for the ad spaces you have on your blog.
Ad placements are made available to advertisers in two ways;
1. Placements automatically created by Google, where websites in the adsense network are automatically made available to advertisers as placements where they can target their ads or,
2. Placements defined by you, where you can define your own ad placements using custom channels.
A lot of bloggers out there are not even aware of custom channels and what it could be used for, custom channels will provide better information to advertisers on the location of the ads, external name and description of the site, what pages the ads will appear on and what type of niche or site it will appear on.
Placement targeting can be made possible with custom channels. Creating custom channels will make it possible for advertisers to target specific ad slots or a section of your site from the information you provided while creating your custom channels.
When advertisers search for places to target their ads, they will see the external name and description you provided regarding the ad placement for that channel and can target their ads to it. For example, you can create a custom channel for above the fold ad placement, and provide information such as the location where the ads will appear and the type of site or niche where the ads will appear on.
Let’s say you have an education blog and you want to create custom channels for your ads placement below your post titles and after the content, you can create custom channels describing the location where the ads will appear and the type of site where the ads will appear. When advertisers search for educational sites for placement targeting, they can easily find your custom channel and target it.
How can custom channels improve adsense CPC?
I envisaged some of you may be asking this question already. Setting up custom channels will increase the number of ads competing for your site for placement targeting. CPC is the amount an advertiser is willing to pay for a click on their ads and Google only features ads with the highest CPC.
So when more ads are competing for the ad slots on your website, Google will only show the ads with the highest CPC. So instead of getting those $0.01 ads placed on your site by advertisers that generally target any site, create custom channels for all your ads and allow only advertisers that are willing to pay higher CPC compete for your ads spaces.
How to create Custom Channels on Adsense:
Creating custom channels on adsense is quite easy. In this section I will walk you through creating good custom channels for your ads or editing your already existing ads and add custom channels to them.
1. Login to your Adsense Dashboard and click on “My ads”.
2. Click on “New ad unit” and enter any name you want for your ad, select the ad size you want and ad type.
Note: Text and Display ad is the best as it will also increase competition for the type of ads that will appear. Only ads with highest CPC can appear at every time.
3. Click on the “Create new custom channel” under the Custom channels section.
4. Enter any name you like as your new custom channel name but I will advise you use a name that best describes it for easy tracking such as “my site top ads”, “my site sidebar ads”, “my site bottom ads” etc.
5. Click on the check box under the “Targeting” section that says “Show this custom channel to advertisers as a targetable ad placement”
6. Then on “Ads appear on” enter the name of or niche of your site where you want to display the ads for example “Sports Articles” or “technology Homepage” etc.
7. Choose the Ad location such as “Top Left”, “Top Right”, “Top Center” etc. Choose the right position of your site where the ads will appear, this will help advertisers target ads on specific regions of your site.
8. Then write a good description for the ad placement that best describes the ad such as type of ad and where it will appear. For example;
“A 336 x 280 textual or graphic ad slot that appears to the top left immediately after post title.”
8. Then save your custom channel.
How to add custom channels to existing ads:
1. Go to “My ads” and click on any existing ad unit
2. Under “Custom channels”, click the “Add” next to the custom channel you want to add to the ad unit. Make sure you only add custom channels that best matches and describe the ad unit.
3. Then save the ad unit.
This will make the ad unit targetable by advertisers and will in turn increase the competition on the ad space and thus improve your CPC and earnings.
Ads with low CTR often perform poorly, you can use custom channels to eliminate such ad units and improve bids on ads that appear on your site.
Advertisers use placement targeting to control where their ads appear on a site, creating custom channels will allow you to target advertisers that are willing to pay more for placement targeting and thus improve your adsense earnings.
A helpful tutorial on creating custom channels for adsense. Many bloggers are not acquainted with this strategy but its helpful for increased earning. I have learned a lot from this post, and would readily take steps to apply the steps shared!
This comment was left in kingged.com – the content syndication and social networking website for Internet marketers where this post was shared.
Sunday – kingged.com contributor
Surely google custom ads improve adsense earnings. We love them to use because of CTR. CTR can be improved easily with custom ads.
Now a days everyone is doing this. I would like to suggest, placing custom ads below post title, would give more CTR + Adsense income.
Nwosu Mavtrevor says
I totally agree with you, i have noticed that below post title is the most sort after ad position by advertisers.
Toby Allen says
This was exactly what i did some years back and the result was about 150% increase in my Adsense earnings. Great post bro
Thank you so much for this info! im really unaware of this before i come to this site. I impliment this technique in my link ad units and it works perfectly for me :)