Why Good Content is Essential for Social Media Success
Content is King has been a catchphrase since before the Internet, but in the online world it’s even more important to realize this and put the wisdom to good use. Before getting into why good content is essential in 2013 and beyond, let’s take a closer look at the definition of good content. This will help you understand why content is so crucial for success.
What is Good Content?
If content is King, you want to make sure you’re producing content that is worthy of royalty. Here’s a list of some of the qualities of great content.
- Useful – Content that fills a need and is useful is more likely to spread online. When you can help people by being useful, they’re going to share that content with more people.
- Memorable – Whether it’s the delivery, the punchline or a combination of the two, you want to make sure your content is memorable and sticks with readers.
- Edited – There’s nothing worse than having a solid idea for a topic but not being able to finish reading because of grammar mistakes, misspellings or other problems.
The above three items are not the only things that constitute great content, but they’re a good place to start. If you can get a grip on the basics, you’re going to have a better chance of being successful.
Why Good Content is Needed
Here’s a look at why you need good content to succeed these days.
- So Much Content – The Internet is FULL with content. Over the last few years, the volume of content being added to the Internet has not slowed down at all. In some cases, it’s even increased. This leaves a vast sea of content, many choices for people with a limited amount of time.
- Standing out from the Crowd – With the vast amounts of content now available online, the bar has been raised for content to be considered good. If you have low quality or even mediocre content, you’re not going to be able to be found in all the other information that’s on the Internet now.
- Establishing a Connection – To start a relationship with a potential customer or client, you need to first establish a personal connection with them. Without high quality content, you’re just not going to do this without a lot of struggling and headaches. Good content can help you communicate better with consumers.
Many other reasons good content is essential for success in the social media realm, but the three above should help you realize how important having good content is for success. If you take the time to craft content that is going to stand out from the crowd, you’re going to find that you’re more successful online – no matter your goals. Content is king online – especially in the realm of social media. If you agree or disagree, leave a comment below.
Susan Velez says
Totally agree with you that content is king. However, since I started my blog I have just recently spent more time promoting that content. After all what good is great content if you can’t get it in front of some eyeballs.
Thanks for sharing these tips on how to create great content. I think if we spent more time creating good content then more people will spend the time sharing it.
I hope you have a great weekend.
Nwosu Mavtrevor says
Thanks Susan for your awesome contribution. Good content can promote itself, when your readers find your content interesting there is a greater possibility they will share it with their friends and family.
Obasi Miracle says
Hi Allan Goltz,
It’s great seeing your guest on Nwosu’s blog, just wished you ‘d added a human picture to your avatar as those monster pictures do scare me at times.
Your thought on contents being king in today’s social media days comes nothing short of an expert tips from a well researched idea.
People will even promote your contents without you asking for it as long as it provides great values to your readers.
Thanks for sharing this whole lot, do have a wonderful weekend too
Aditya Dey says
I’m totally agreed with you…..Content is and will always remain as the King….Without good contents it is impossible to sustain in this highly competitive web world…..Contents should be high quality, and worth to read on….
Ryan Biddulph says
Spot on points.
I have read that content is king and promoting is queen. I agree. Write resources. Do not post. Write a resource, not a blog post. I like 2500 words for my post because if a visitor stops by and sees my latest work they will likely leave completely satisfied. Google likes resources and people who need solutions need resources.
I had to release the BS block that readers have no time to read long posts. Readers have all the time on earth to read, digest and use a resource which alleviates their pain. Create thorough, in-depth content to boost your page views at a rapid rate.
As I noted above you need to promote content to spread the word. Aggressively promote your stuff, promote other blogger’s posts and you will have uncovered the secret to successful blogging.
Dead on post here. Excellent points Allan. Thanks for sharing!
Nwosu Mavtrevor says
Thanks Ryan for your wonderful contribution to the discussion, i can’t agree less with you.
Adam Dukes says
Yes, great content is key, but so is promotion like Susan mentioned. I have been spending less time on creating and more time on promoting and am learning what to do and what not to do. Traffic ha dipped a bit for me, but that tells me I am not promoting enough.
Also, in a crowded space like Make Money Online/Blogging/Social Media, it’s standing out from the crowd. It’s certainly a challenge. I plan to start adding video into my content strategy to differentiate myself and to spread my content on a different medium. All the big marketers I follow…all use quite a bit of video. That tells me something :)
Nwosu Mavtrevor says
I have noticed personally that posts with video tends to rank higher in search engines and this is something i do once in awhile.
Aney Collmeyer says
Great post, highly agreed for content is king!! I am trying my SEO for my new website using this tact..
Nwosu Mavtrevor says
Thanks Aney for your contribution and glad you found my post informative.
For me Marketing is king, where as good content is mandatory. if someone has good content on his blog, but not doing its marketing, is that blog will get visitors or grow more as it has good content. that’s why In my opinion marketing is king and content is queen :)
Punit Mahajan says
This is brilliant! Your straightforward, no nonsense advice really is top class. You truly add 200% value to every piece of content you produce. Thanks for sharing!!
– Punit mahajan