Choosing the right domain names for your blog is the first step to a successful blogging experience. Domain name is the address to your blog, so you have to rightfully choose one that will stand the taste of time and reflect you business. I am not going to give a lecture about domain names today as this is not the reason for this post, so I will skip that for today.
But I will try to explain the different parts of a domain name using www.netmediablog.com as an example. The domain names are organized right to left, the general descriptors are to the right while the specific descriptors are to the left. The domain name is divided into the following parts – www (machines name) . netmediablog (mid-level domain) . com (extension). There are so many domain name extensions today on the internet like .net, .biz, .info, .tv, .ca, .com.ng etc , so you can choose a domain name ending with any domain name extension related to your business. But one fact remains that most people tend to remember domain names ending with .com than any other extension (always remember that).
How to choose the right domain names:
How to choose the right domain names: To choose the right domain names, you should consider a lot of factors which I am going to explain below as much as I can.
- Use keywords that describe the domain name you are seeking: You can’t be seeking a domain name for cars while you are buying www.house.com , you should use a keyword related to the domain name you are seeking while making a choice for the right domain name.
- Domain names should be unique: You should avoid choosing domain names that will confuse you blog with a popular blog already owned by great bloggers. Imagine what is happening to Flickr and Flicker. You may lose your traffic if you make this mistake.
- Choose domain names that are easy to remember: You don’t want your visitors to find it hard locating your website always, so always choose simple and easy to remember domain names, imagine domain names that are alphanumeric like naija4life.com etc one may mistake the (4 ) for (four) so it’s easier to choose domain names that one can grab easily.
- Domain names ending with .com should always be preferred: Except you are using a free hosted blogging platform like WordPress.com and Blogspot.com choosing a domain name that ends with .com is a preferred choice as it is easier to remember such domains than other extensions.
- Keep your domain names short: as this will help people easily remember your domain name. Short domain names are easier to remember.
- Avoid numbers and hyphens: This may make is hard to verbally give someone your domain name, I remember when I owned www.netcash-ng.com it was more work for me to always remind them of the dash (-) part of the domain name.
If you have any contribution to add to this blog post, please use the comment box below. I will like to hear from you. You should also Subscribe to NetMediaBlog Feeds by Email.