In few weeks from now I would’ve blogged for 2 years. I can say I have learnt a lot from this period and i have also made some mistakes and most importantly learnt from them. Blogging is not always a smooth ride as you are bound to face challenges and sometimes make mistakes.
While your blog can survive some mistakes and still stand (weaker or stronger), it may not survive some. There are some grievous mistakes that can kill and bury your blog even without your notice. This article is for every blogger out there, don’t think because you have been in blogging for long doesn’t mean you can’t make mistakes even without knowing but most especially for newbie bloggers so they can avoid mistakes that could kill their newly found passion even before it starts off properly.
Blogging mistakes to avoid:
1. Not Publishing Regularly: When you begin blogging your passion to write will begin to wane when you begin to feel the money you are earning is not commensurate with the amount of work you put in. The difference between blogs and other types of websites is in the frequency of publications. As a blogger you should have publication schedules to maintain.
Even if you can’t publish every day, you can choose 3 – 5 days of the week to publish so as not to starve your audience. When a visitor visits your site and can’t find something new to read such a visitor will be gone and may not ever return again.
Not only will you lose your audience when you don’t publish regularly, you may also lose your search engine ranking. I have explained how content freshness can improve search engine ranking on this blog. Google and other search engines favor fresh contents and rank them high, so regular publications will help your contents rank high on search engine results. Regular publication also means regular content indexing by search engine crawlers.
2. Quality of Content: The quality of your contents can either make or mar your blog. Poor content quality is a common blogging mistake you will find bloggers make and this mistake can kill your blog. Always ensure you publish only high quality articles on your blog. Do not compromise on the quality of your articles just because you want to publish a post.
You rather not publish any post at all if you can’t come up with quality content. Same goes with guest posts, do not accept poor quality posts or duplicated contents and publish on your blog. If you are a copy-and-paste blogger, desist from it as this act will only kill your blog.
3. Poor Optimization: The easiest way to succeed as a blogger is to rank high on search engines and you cannot rank high if your blog posts are often poorly optimized. Learn search engine optimization SEO and apply them on your blog.
A good optimized blog stands a chance of ranking high and earning a lot of $$$$. Apply the proper SEO methods on your blog and see it fly high. Ignore SEO and see your blog suffer.
4. Blog Design & Hosting: Do you know your blog design and hosting can either make or mar your blog? The mistake most bloggers make is in the type of hosting package they use for their blog and also their blog design. In an article I earlier published on this blog titled “Importance of Blog Design and Layout – Things You Should Know” I explained how your blog design can affect its user engagement and performance.
The type of theme you use for your blog or web hosting package and slow down your site and cause it to suffer in search engine ranking as Google consider site speed as a search engine ranking factor. So avoid this blogging mistake, acquire a good hosting package and use a fast and responsive theme in designing your blog.
5. Not Building a Mailing List: 75% of bloggers are guilty to this blogging mistake. Some don’t build a list at all while some start very late. You may have heard the saying that “the money is in the list”. A mailing list will be very essential when you decide to use affiliate marketing as a monetization method.
A mailing list will help you maintain contact with your audience from time to time. So if you haven’t started building your mailing list, I recommend you start now.
6. Not engaging with your audience? Another blogging mistake that can kill your blog is when you fail to engage actively with your audience either via blog commenting or on your social media pages. Respond to your visitors comments and help them solve their problems. Engage with them on your social media pages, build and maintain relationships with your audience through and active engagement.
7. How much do you promote your blog? Most bloggers rely only on search engine traffic to grow their site; this is a grievous blogging mistake that can kill your blog especially when your posts are not ranking high on search engine results. Read”Why you shouldn’t rely on Search Engines alone for Traffic”.
Avoid this blogging mistake, promote your site and drive traffic from multiple sources and you will see your blog fly high. I have shared a lot of my traffic secrets on this blog.
Have you made any of the blogging mistakes listed here? Analyze your blog and see if you are making any of the blogging mistakes that could kill your blog as i have discussed in this article. Fix these mistakes and see your blog succeed.