Blackberry has officially rolled out OS 10.2.1 globally with loads of tweaks and improvements. Just as every update brings new features, the Blackberry OS 10.2.1 came with a lot of features and improvements to make the Blackberry experience better. There are minor tweaks and bug fixes all over as well as major improvements in the new update.
In this article I am going to try and highlight all the improvements and added features the new Blackberry OS 10.2.1 has brought. The major highlight for me is the support for direct installation of Android apps (.apk files) onto the device.
Blackberry OS 10.2.1 Features
Blackberry OS 10.2.1 includes a lot of new features and improvements that will enhance your Blackberry experience. Now let’s take a look at “What’s new in Blackberry OS 10.2.1”.
FM Radio: The Blackberry OS 10.2.1 update unlocks the built-in FM radio in Blackberry Z30, Q10 & Q5. This feature is still absent in Blackberry Z10. You can listen to your local FM stations without network connections.
Direct Install of .apk files: Now you can easily install .apk files onto your Blackberry 10 device directly without having to sideload the apps.
Update to Device Monitor app & Data Monitor app: Both the device monitor and data monitor apps have been improved for essential details on data usage and device status.
New Incoming Call Screen: New incoming call screen lets you swipe to the left to pick your calls or right to ignore calls. Silencing calls now is even easier with the new icon available on the incoming call screen that lets you instantly silent a call. You can also send a Reply Now response through BBM, SMS or email when you can answer your calls right away.
Customized Pinch Gestures in the Hub to access Specified Messages: Now you can instantly filter your message list in the hub. You can customize the hub to show only Unread Messages, Flagged Messages, Draft Messages etc.
New Flashlight App: A new flashlight app has been added in the new Blackberry OS 10.2.1 update. This app can also be accessed from Quick Settings.
Changes to Battery & Charging icons: After the Blackberry OS 10.2.1 update you will notice that the battery and charging icon now looks a little bit different.
Photo Password: Now you can easily lock and unlock your Blackberry 10 devices using a combination of a picture and a number (0-9) of your choice, which you place at a particular point on the image. When you want to unlock your device a picture you have already chosen will appear along with a grid of random numbers, simply drag the grid so the number you selected will overlay the particular point on the image you chose to unlock the device.
Other Blackberry 10.2.1 features include;
- Battery shows percentage in peek view
- Updates to native weather app
- Wi-Fi Direct
- Video Call has the new call screen
- Bluetooth Sharing through Android Runtime
- Share Screen
- Remote search of emails older than 60 days
- Media Volume displays at top of screen
- Clock App includes Accuweather information
- Updates to native weather app
- New native wallpapers added
- New Quick Settings functionality for dropdown menu
- Speed Dial from homescreen (Q10)
- Wolfram Alpha commands
- Airplane-Mode automatically turned on in Bedside Mode
- Added Contact Groups
- Lockscreen previews open directly to application
- Custom contact profiles for email, SMS, BBM and phone calls
- Delete options from Hub (device and/or server)
- BBM adds vibrate on ping and new emoticons
- Updates to Media Player
- IBM notes traveler in accounts settings
- White balance adjuster in display settings
- Next email toggle inside email messages
- Updated Twitter app
Dropdown Menu now includes:
1. Flashlight App Button (new app to 10.2.1.xxxx
2. Brightness Adjustment
3. Location Toggle Switch
4. Device Monitor App Button (new app to 10.2.1.xxxx)
5. Tethering Toggle Switch
6. Hotspot Toggle Switch
7. NFC Toggle Switch
8. Flight mode Toggle Switch (airplane mode)
With all these new features and improvements, the Blackberry OS 10.2.1 update will definitely enhance the Blackberry experience especially the direct .apk file installation feature that will enable Blackberry users install and run Android apps on their devices without having to sideload the apps which often times may not function very well.
The Blackberry OS 10.2.1 update is subject to to carrier approvals. So it may take a little while before you get yours. What do you think of the new Blackberry OS 10.2.1 features and improvements? Which of the improvements do you find very interesting? Did i omit any feature or improvements? Please use the comment form below to share your view about the new Blackberry OS 10.2.1 update.