Every blogger knows the hard work it takes to develop a blog and most especially the time to takes to develop great contents. This has lead to increased need to secure and backup your blog. There are a lot of backup methods on your hosting account, but what if your hosting company goes out of business? Just what if something goes wrong and someone tampers with your hosting account and you lose you precious backup. What if you get hacked, servers do go down always and stay longer than expected before it is restored. You may have a need to move to another server etc there are countless reasons why you need to backup WordPress blog to the cloud always.
Why backup to the cloud?
I know this question must have been racing through your mind since you saw the title of this post. Here are simple reasons why you should backup WordPress blog to the cloud.
Now let’s get to the business of the day – Backup WordPress blog to the cloud.
Backup WordPress blog to the cloud
I am going to guild you through an easy and efficient method to back up your WordPress blog to the cloud. Follow the steps below and get started. The task is quite an easy one…
- Create a Dropbox account @ http://db.tt/yeQQBh0 You will be given a free 2GB worth of free web space to save your files in, you can increase it to up to 10GB by referring people to join.
- Check your email and verify your Dropbox account.
- Login to your WordPress blog “Dashboard”
- Navigate to Plugins > Add New
- Use the search box to search for WordPress backup to Dropbox plugin
- Install and activate the plugin
- Under backup settings, click on “Authorize” account, this link will take you to a Dropbox login page where you will be required to enter your Dropbox login details. On successful login, your WordPress account will be linked to your Dropbox account. There you can configure the settings to your need. I will recommend you leave everything as they were except you have a need to change then. You can also edit the frequency from Daily to weekly to forthnightly, monthly and so on…
- Next you click on “Backup Now” button to get started with the backup.
- Then you click Start Backup and your WordPress blog will begin to be backed up to your linked Dropbox account.
- Verify the backup by visiting your Dropbox account to see the backup folder has been created and your WordPress blog files are being backed up into it.
I hope you find this post interesting, i have used several backup methods but they simple consume my web disk and because of that i don’t run a regular backup, now i don’t have to worry about my web disk anymore since i have almost 10GB worth of cloud space to backup my WordPress blog.
Please share our posts using the social share buttons on this page and tell your friends about this great blog if it has helped you in anyway. Feel free to share your comments about this blog post using the comment form below. Please Subscribe to NetMediaBlog Feeds by Email so you can be getting more of my posts on your email even when you are offline.
Did you read my blog post on Dropbox: Online file storage and synchronization ?