When you are on the go your smartphone applications can save you both time and money. They can help show you the best way to reach your destination, can help you stay in touch with your family for free even though you are miles away, can help reserve a table in a nearby restaurant and can help you in many other ways. Below is given a list of 9 travel apps you must have in your smartphone while travelling.
Travel Apps you need
1. WhatsApp Messenger: If you are charged for text messages by your phone service provider while traveling outside your country, you can avoid paying those fees if you install the Whatsapp mobile messenger. Ask your family members, friends and others you would want to stay in touch with to also install this application and you can exchange texts, send photos and also share audio notes with each other from wherever you are. This is the first must have travel apps you should travel with.
2. TripIt: The more disorganized you are the more helpful this travel app will prove to be. Forward TripIt the reservation confirmation emails you receive from hotels, airlines and car rental companies and it will create an itinerary for you and update the appointment calendar of your phone. It will tell you the arrival and departure gates of your flights, and will also give you accurate directions from hotel to airport.
3. Hotel Tonight: If you are in London or in a US city and need a last minute lodging Hotel Tonight can help you get great discounts at various hip and deluxe hotels. Rates will not be announced before noon of the day you check-in. As the rooms can accommodate just one or two persons, this application is best only for couples and solo travelers. Many hotels also let you stay at discounted rates for multiple nights. This is one of the best travel apps you can find on the play store.
4. FlightTrack Pro: There are many applications that provide you with scheduled departure and arrival times and notifications of any gate changes or delays, but FlightTrack Pro offers you the fastest and more accurate information than others and you have to include this travel app on your list of must have travel apps on your smartphone.
5. EveryTrail: EveryTrail is a must have GPS app if you are an adventure traveler. It records your route as you bike, hike, climb, run, ski, paddle or move in any other way. This travel app works with satellite reception anywhere in the world. Your route will be plotted on Google map and stats of your distance, speed and elevation will be maintained.
6. CityMaps2Go: If you have an iPad or a iPhone this means you have a map in your pocket all the time, till of course you are in an area where there is no 3G or WiFi signal, or you are traveling overseas and choose not to use your map owing to the high international roaming charges you will have to pay. However as soon as you install CityMaps2Go these problems will disappear, as you can access maps for thousands of islands, cities, provinces and regions even when you do not have access to Internet connection.
7. OpenTable: If you are in a resort area which has just few restaurants and each of them are high in demand then OpenTable will prove to be immensely helpful. It will show you which restaurants have availability at the time you want to dine and for the number of people you will be dining with. All you need to do is click to get your table reserved and forward the confirmation to TripIt and the details will get added to your itinerary. A must have travel app if you do not wish to miss that important dinner.
8. AroundMe: If you need a gas station, ATM, parking lot, hospital, hotel or anything nearby the AroundMe application will help you locate it. It will tell you how far what you are searching for is, and how can you get there.
9. XE currency exchange: If you are planning to visit various countries during your travels, a currency exchange app will surely prove handy. XE.com is among the most renowned currency related sites on the net, and its app is equally great. This app remembers the most current updated rates and this is the most accurate thing about this app.
It is amazing how dependent we have become on our phones, tablets and other nifty gadgets. From this perspective, travelling a decade or so ago seems tedious. However, embracing new technologies has led us to the point where we can have it all in the same place. In case you were wondering for a second there how and why these applications can be used and storing the data does not actually take up your gadget memory, it is the virtual servers you need to thank, and the fact that all these applications are stored in the cloud. All you need is access to a web browser to use the services, you easily will be able to install and use these applications no matter where you are.
Do you know of other travel apps? Use the comment section below to suggest other travel apps you have used or found important for me. Remember to subscribe to my RSS feeds for more important posts like this one.